Below are instructions to make sure your technology is ready for your Nepris online session. We use Zoom Cloud Meetings as our video tool. For all technical requirements for Zoom, visit: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
If you are unable to complete a step, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick technology setup session to make sure you are prepared for your session.
1. Installing. If you have already used Zoom before on your computer or device, you can skip this step. If you need to download or make sure you have the latest version, you can download and install here:
- Apple or Windows OS:https://nepris.zoom.us/download (top download: Zoom Client for Meetings)
- Chrome OS: Chrome Web Store
- Android or iOS Phone or Tablet: https://nepris.zoom.us/download (scroll down page)
2. Checking Connection. Go to http://zoom.us/test to get a button for a test meeting.
3. Test Speaker and Microphone. If the test doesn't start, no matter what is on the screen, you should be able to click on the audio menu and select Test Speaker & Microphone...
The test screen will walk you through the steps for speaker and microphone:
At each step of the way, you can select a different source. You may need to do this if you have external speakers or microphones connected:
4. Test Video. You should see yourself if the camera is working. If not, make sure there is a camera icon in the lower left hand corner of your window. If there is no camera, Zoom does not find any camera and you will have to check your camera connection. If there is a red slash, make sure the you are not hidden.
If you need to switch to a different camera or edit video settings, you can access the Video Settings... menu here:
Common Issue: Make sure all other applications that may use your camera are closed. This may include the software that came with your camera.
5. Sharing your Screen. Most presenters and sometimes classrooms or students will want to share what is on their computer screen to everyone else. To do this, there is a Share button in the bottom middle of your window.
Click on that icon and take note of the next window:
A. Application to Share. If you keep the default selection of your Desktop or Screen, this means they be able to see any application you use on your computer. If you choose a specific application, then only that will be shown to others. If you are using more than one application (e.g. PPT and Web page with YouTube), then choose Desktop or Screen.
B. Sharing something with sound. If you are sharing anything with sound (e.g. video), you MUST make sure this check box is checked. If there is nothing with sound in it, then ignore this.
To exit sharing your screen so that you are full screen again for discussion, there is a Stop Share at the top of your monitor (not at the top of any particular window).
More useful information
Is your bandwidth quick enough? Slow bandwidth can cause latency, frozen screen, poor audio or getting disconnected. If you want to test your speed, go to http://www.speedtest.net/. Be sure your upload and download speeds are consistently greater than 1.5 Mbps. If your test shows you are below this, email email@example.com and we can set up a test session to make sure everything works smoothly.
A little about mobile apps
Unfortunately, there is no “self-test” available with the mobile applications, so if you haven’t used a mobile device before with a Nepris session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick technology setup session.
Some things about the mobile app:
- You will join a Nepris session from a web page (through the Nepris site). You will be passed off to the Zoom app when joining.
- You cannot share applications from iOS. If you want to show slides, you can upload them to a web-based platform like http://slideshare.com and then input the Website URL on the Share Content menu. You can also export slides to images and then share images from the iOS app.
- If you use mobile, take advantage of the front and back camera and think of ways to leverage the mobility (show something in real time from your office, assembly plant, warehouse, etc.)