Below are instructions to make sure your technology is ready for your Nepris online session. We use Zoom Cloud Meetings as our video tool. This section will first walk you through the process of making sure Zoom is installed and your video and microphone work on your computer. The end of this section will reference mobile applications if you choose to use a mobile device. For all technical requirements for Zoom, visit: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
If you are unable to complete a step, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick technology setup session to make sure you are prepared for the day you connect with students.
To Self-Check Your Technology:
- Go to https://zoom.us/test
- You will join all regular sessions through http://nepris.com. This link is only for testing.
If you are not automatically prompted to test your sound, you can do so by selecting Audio Options from the sound menu in the lower left hand corner of your window:
The top two tabs that pop up allow you to choose between either joining via a phone or through the microphone and speaker within or attached to your computer. We highly recommend joining by computer if you can; the rest of the directions below will assume a computer connection.
Next, click on the link for Test Computer Mic & Speakers. Follow the directions and click Test Speaker:
You want to both see the sound register and hear some tones. If nothing registers or you cannot hear anything, make sure your volume is turned up. You can also select the pull down and see if there is another speaker option for your computer and try again:
Press Stop to quit the test.
After you are done testing your speakers, make some noise. Talk to yourself. Does the sound register?
If nothing registers, select the pull down and see if there is another microphone option for your computer and try again. Make sure you check the box to Automatically join audio by computer when joining a meeting.
After you are done testing your microphone, click on the Video tab. If you have closed the setting box, you can get to your video settings by clicking on the Video menu:
Do you see yourself? If nothing registers, select the pull down and see if there is another video option for your computer and try again:
Make sure all other applications that may use you camera are closed. This may include the software that came with your camera.
More Useful Information
- Is your bandwidth quick enough? Slow bandwidth can cause latency, frozen screen, poor audio, or getting disconnected. If you want to test your speed, go to http://www.speedtest.net/. Be sure your upload speed and download speed is consistently greater than 1.5 Mbps. If your test shows you are below this, email email@example.com and we can set up a brief test session to make sure everything works smoothly.
- Here is a quick snapshot of the different buttons you'll see on the video screen during your technology self-check and when you actually connect with classrooms for your virtual session:
A Little about Mobile Apps
If you prefer, you can also use a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Search for "Zoom Cloud Meetings” within your respective marketplace. You will need to download the app before you can participate in a Nepris session.
Unfortunately, there is no “self-test” available for mobile applications, so if you haven’t previously used your device for a Nepris session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick technology check with us.
- You cannot share applications from iOS. If you want to show slides, you can upload them to a web-based platform like http://slideshare.com and then input the Website URL on the Share menu. Below is an example of what slideshare.com will look like from an iOS device:
- When using a mobile device, take advantage of the front and back camera to leverage your mobility (e.g. show something in real time form your office, assembly plant, warehouse, etc.).