What are the ways to connect with students?
We have two main options:
- You can respond to teachers’ requests for professionals to talk with their students to help them understand how curriculum topics are used by you in your job or expose them to career paths and opportunities. It could even be a request to provide feedback on student projects or conduct interview practice. The session page has all the relevant information and you can contact the teacher ahead of time if you have a question about preparing.
- You can also offer Industry Chats where you choose the topic, time, and grade levels of participants and then Pathful Connect will promote it so that you can connect with many classes at one time. Industry Chats allow you to create an experience for students such as a panel discussion, a tour of a facility, or to provide information that highlights your industry, career, or a message about job skills.
How much time will this take?
Most virtual connections are just 30-45 minutes. Additionally, speakers generally spend less than an hour preparing for teacher-requested sessions, using the details on the session page to inform what to share with students. Pathful Connect will also touch base with you prior to your session to make sure you're comfortable with the video software and for a background check (learn more here).
If you are electing to offer an Industry Chat, you may spend a bit more time preparing, but in that case, you are deciding what to share with students and the duration.
What is the format of a connection?
Most connections follow a similar pattern:
- 5 min - Introduce yourself and your field/company
- 15-20 min - Explore the topic listed on the session page
- 15 min - Student questions
Can I contact an educator after a session?
Of course! Please see this article for how to do so.
Will my presentation be recorded?
We request permission to record, edit and make available each virtual interaction because teachers like to review the session with students for a better understanding of the material, assign it to students for homework in a blended learning model, or just share it with other classrooms that cannot attend a live session. As a professional, your volunteering hours go further when a recording is made available for reuse in education. Pathful Connect edits the video to remove any student information before posting it to our site. You remain the owner of any content but you give us rights to use it for Pathful Connect purposes. We will notify you when the recording has been posted. Although we encourage you to let us record your session to continue to impact students well beyond the live session, you can also opt-out if needed.
What technology will I need?
You will need the following for a live session on Nepris:
- Pathful Connect log in to join the sessions
- Zoom Cloud Meetings installed
- Computer, tablet, or smartphone with access to a fast internet connection
- Browser: Google Chrome (recommended), Firefox, Safari, or IE 10 or above
- Microphone, video capability, and speakers (external or built in)
For more information, see this help page.
What if the content I share is proprietary?
Unless you tell us otherwise (or the school requires we do not record), sessions are recorded by default. Do not share anything that is proprietary or not meant for public consumption. However, we know there are always exceptions depending on the topic or any concerns about recording, and so when you sign up through our site for a session you have the option to opt-out. During the meeting, you will see a notification in the corner of the screen if the session is being actively recorded. The host can stop recording if you don’t want it recorded. If it was recorded and you decide after the fact that you may have mentioned something that shouldn’t be public, let us know and we will either not post the recording or edit it to remove the information.
I am a volunteer, can my child(ren) explore careers with this platform too?
Yes! We appreciate your engagement and encourage your own child(ren) to benefit from the resources on the site. While you are logged in, the Video Library and Career Explorer features are available for your child(ren) to utilize.
Feel free to explore other sections of the Help Center for additional information on using Pathful Connect! You can also click here to schedule a quick brainstorming call to discuss ideas for an upcoming session or an Industry Chat you'd like to offer.